Visa – sc115
With this visa you can
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare.
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship
Newly arrived residents may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits.
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa until the travel validity expires.
If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel validity:
- you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
For citizenship purposes, you become a permanent resident at the time:
- you enter Australia on this visa; or
- if you previously have been present in Australia and held a permanent visa immediately before last leaving Australia, when we grant this visa
You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply. You an also add them to your application at any time before we make a decision.
You should include details of all your family members, whether they are migrating or not, in the application form.
Find out what to do if your child is born after you apply.
This visa costs from AUD6,415.
There is an additional charge for each family member who applies with you.
You pay for this visa in 2 parts, called instalments.
Pay the first instalment when you apply and the second instalment when we ask you to.
You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
You must be outside Australia when you apply and when we decide your application.
We don’t provide processing times for this visa. Applications for this visa are subject to capping and queueing.
Your application might take longer to process if:
- you do not fill it in correctly
- you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
- it takes us time to verify your information
We can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.
Family migration visas are in high demand.
We assess applications for this visa in 2 stages.
- Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it.
- Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.
Don’t arrange to move to Australia until we grant the visa. We will let you know in writing if we grant you the visa.
You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.
We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.