Permanent Resident – sc103
- You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.
- If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:
- you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV)so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship
- To see when your travel facility ends, use VEVO.
- If you apply for the subclass 103 visa as a retiree, you don’t have to:
- meet the balance of family test, or
- have a sponsor or an assurance of support
How long you can stay
- This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
- For citizenship purposes, your permanent residence starts on the day we grant the visa.
- You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply.
- You are required to include details of all your family members in your application form whether they are migrating or not.
- Family members who apply for the visa must meet our healthand character Family members who are not coming to Australia might also have to meet our health and character requirements.
- If you apply for this visa as a retiree, you:
- can include your partner when you apply provided, they are also retired
- can’t include your children in your application
Find out what to do if your child is born after you apply.
- This visa costs from AUD6,415. There is also an additional charge for each family member who applies with you.
- You pay for this visa in 2 parts called instalments.
- Pay the first instalment when you apply. Pay the second instalment when we ask you to.
- You might also have to pay other costs for each applicant for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
- You can be in or outside Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply for the visa.
- You must be outside Australia when we decide on your application.
- If you apply in Australia, any family members who apply with you must also be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply. If you apply outside Australia, any family members who apply for the visa with you must also be outside Australia when you apply.
- If you are applying as a retiree you must be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply. You can be in or outside Australia when we decide on your application.
- We don’t provide processing times for this visa. Applications for this visa are subject to capping and queueing.
- Your application might take longer to process if:
- you do not fill it in correctly
- you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you, it takes us time to verify your information
- We can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge.
- Family migration visas are in high demand. It might take many years for this visa to be granted.
We assess applications for this visa in 2 stages. Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it. Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.
Don’t arrange to move to Australia until we grant the visa. We will let you know in writing if we grant you the visa.
- Other parent visas might be processed more quickly:
- the Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)is a permanent visa. Contributory Parent visas are processed faster, but they cost more
- the Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173), then a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143). This 2-step visa process is faster but costs more than the subclass 103 visa. It also costs more than applying directly for the Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143), but the cost is spread across the 2 visas over a longer period
You and your family members must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.
We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.